Click to Home
Go To Search
Help Center
Mandatory Language for a Maximum Contaminant Level Violation

CityMathis Logo_RGB

Mandatory Language for a Maximum  Contaminant Level Violation


   The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) has notified the CITY OF MATHIS TX2050003 that the drinking water being supplied to customers had exceeded the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for total trihalomethanes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) has established the MCL for total trihalomethanes to be 0.080 milligrams per liter (mg/L) based on locational running annual average (LRAA), and has determined that it is a health concern at levels above the MCL. Analysis of drinking water in your community for total trihalomethanes indicates a compliance value on quarter one 2017 of 0.081 mg/L for DBP2-01 and of 0.087 mg/L for DBP2-02.

   Trihalomethanes are a group of volatile organic compounds that are formed when chlorine, added to the water during the treatment process for disinfection, reacts with naturally-occurring organic matter in the water.

   Some people who drink water containing trihalomethanes in excess of the MCL over many years may experience problems with their liver, kidney, or central nervous systems, and may have an increased risk of getting cancer.

   You do not need to use an alternative water supply. However, if you have health concerns, you may want to talk to your doctor to get more information about how this may affect you.

We are taking the following actions to address this issue:

   The City of Mathis has been working on getting a permit through the Union Pacific Railroad to replace a section of a 6’’ water line that has been isolated with two 6’’ gate valves which has caused a dead end on Lamar Street. The City of Mathis’ water crews will begin the replacement project within two weeks to correct the problem, as well as extensive water main flushing in the area. 

   Please share this information with all people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (i.e., people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.

   If you have questions regarding this matter, you may contact Joe Sandoval at 361-547-5951.

                                                                                                Posted / Delivered on: 3/31/2017